Herein is a 12-Step Program for my horrified Republican friends, who are trying to decide whether they can actually support Donald Trump as their party’s nominee in the face of the (to them) awful possibility of having to vote for Hillary Clinton. Work the program for yourself, your Party, and your country. Please.
1. Admit that your Party has become powerless over its addiction to winning elections by demonizing Obama, the Clintons, the Democrats, science, experts, liberals, minorities, LGBT, immigrants, foreigners, education, facts, and women and that your Party has become unrecognizable and unmanageable in the face of Trump’s victory in the nomination race.
2. Trust that having a purpose greater than winning the next presidential election can restore your Party to sanity.
3. Decide to base your Party’s actions on facts and reason. That is, facts and reason as understood by the vast majority of Americans who are not members of your Party.
4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of the tactics and counter-factual beliefs of your Party that have led to Trump’s hostile takeover of the GOP.
5. Admit to yourself, to other Republicans, and to all Americans the exact nature of the harm your Party’s tactics and counter-factual beliefs have caused.
6. Be entirely ready to do what it takes to prevent Trump from becoming President, even if it means voting for the Democratic Party’s candidate.
7. Humbly ask God to help you prevent Trump from becoming President.
8. Make a list of all the groups and people your Party’s political tactics have harmed and become willing to make amends by getting to know them as people instead of viewing them as objects of contempt.
9. Make amends to such people, unless doing so would harm others. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, just as Christ commanded. Do unto others as you would that they would do unto you.
10. Continue to take a moral inventory of your Party’s actions and, when your Party is wrong, promptly admit it. Begin to learn from your Party’s mistakes.
11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve your contact with reality and to recognize the humanity in all human beings, praying only for knowledge, understanding, and compassion.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, try to carry this message to your Party and to practice these principles in all of your Party’s affairs.
Good luck, my friends! You’ll need it.